Traditionally, the cooking is done over a charcoal stove, giving the dish a distinctive flavour. However if you don't have a claypot, no worries, just do the cooking in your rice cooker.
Claypot Chicken Rice
Recipe Adapted from Kuali
Serves 3 - 4
500g (2 pieces) boneless chicken maryland
300g long grain rice
Marinade for the Chicken:
1 tablepoon dark soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon ginger juice
1 tablespoon Chinese wine
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornflour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Chinese sausage (lap cheong), sliced
5 pieces Chinese mushroom, soaked and cut in half
Chopped spring onions and coriander for garnishing
1) Cut chicken into chunks, about 1.5" pieces. Combine the marinade ingredients and allow chicken to marinate in it for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2) Heat a wok and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Fry the Chinese sausage until lightly brown. Remove and set aside.
3) Add the marinated chicken and Chinese sausages into the wok and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Then add the mushroom and fry for another minute or two. If the ingredients look a bit dry and a little bit of water (ingredients should have a little bit of sauce). Add the Chinese sausage and mix.
4) Wash the rice in several changes of water and place into a claypot with 420ml water. Cook, covered, over medium heat, until water is almost absorbed.
5) Add the stir fried chicken over the rice. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of water over the meat/rice.
6) Lower the heat and cook, covered, until rice and chicken are cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes. Flake rice, cover lid and cook for further 5 minutes.
7) Remove from heat and top with spring onions and coriander. Serve immediately with sliced red chillies.